Saturday, November 14, 2009

MARY AND MARTHA

Read Luke 10:38–42

But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" Luke 10:40 NIV
* * *
No woman can read this story without feeling a bit sorry for Martha. We all have our Martha moments when we are hurrying about to get life together. But as I read this, I remember that the apostle John said, "Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus." (John 11:5)
* * *
The most important part of this story is that Mary's part would never be taken away from her. That "one thing" also belonged to Martha, in spite of her troubled spirit - her relationship with Jesus. Shortly after this, Jesus would be crucified. Every moment spent at Jesus feet would be treasured on that day.
* * *
Lord, I am so thankful that I too have that "one thing" that will not be taken from me. I praise You that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39 NKJV)
* * *
"…Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her."
Luke 10:41–42 NKJV

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter has OCD. It is a saratonin problem of the brain. It also is a behavior problem that has to be delt with by a program called Cognative Behavior Training. It is exposing herself to what she is anxious about multiple times and each time it gets better. It never goes away but by practiceing CBT. I believe that was what Mary had learned and Martha needed. Practiceing trusting Jesus. If Ruth combines the two, she will be free like Mary.

Charlotte Mathis said...

I am always amazed at the most practical ways that God's Word applys to our lives. "Practicing trusting Jesus." We all need that!