Saturday, March 13, 2010

THE WOMAN AT THE WELL

[43]
Read: John 4:1–42

     And many of the Samaritans of that city believed in Him because of the word of the woman who testified, "He told me all that I ever did." John 4:39 NKJV
* * *
     This story is one of the most beloved illustrations of grace in the New Testament. The setting is in Samaria where the prevailing religion was a mixture of idolatry with a smattering of Jewish influence. The Samaritan woman knew about a promised Messiah, but she lived a sinful life and Jesus kindly confronted her with her sin.
     In a conversation about "living water" she came to realize that this was the Messiah she had heard about. She said, "I know that Messiah" (called Christ) "is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us." Then Jesus declared, "I who speak to you am he." (4:25-26)
* * *
     Sometimes we think that people mixed up in cultish religions are unreachable with the gospel. In fact, they may be searching for the truth just as the woman at the well. She …went back to the town and said to the people, "Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Christ?" (4:28-29 NIV)
* * *
     Lord, help me to share my faith with people regardless of how impossible it seems, trusting in the work of Your Spirit in their hearts.
* * *
     Then they said to the woman, "Now we believe, not because of what you said, for we ourselves have heard Him and we know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world."   John 4:42 NKJV

No comments: