Friday, February 19, 2010

UNEXPECTED GUEST

[39]

ZACCHAEUS

Read: Luke 19:1-10


When Jesus came to the place, He looked up and saw him, and said to him, "Zacchaeus, make haste and come down, for today I must stay at your house." Luke 19:5 NKJV
* * *
Zacchaeus was a man who was small in stature, but a big shot in his position as tax collector for the Roman government. The price for his dishonest position of wealth was contempt by his own people.
* * *
Unlike many who stood by, Zacchaeus knew he was a sinner and believed that Jesus could forgive him. He also knew what he had to do next: He said, "Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount." (19:8 NIV)
* * *
Jesus never did anything the way the leaders expected. To call a tax collector down from a tree and announce that He was going to his house; that was unprecedented behavior. But Jesus did things purposefully for eternal results, not human applause.
* * *
Lord, I want to live for You in a way that pleases You, not just as others expect. I want to teach my children to seek Your will in their lives, not the applause of the world.
* * *
And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham; for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." Luke 19:9-10 NKJV

No comments: