Friday, May 14, 2010

WHO ARE YOU LORD?

[71]

SAUL

Read Acts 8:1–3; 9:1–22
     Godly men buried Stephen and mourned deeply for him. But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off men and women and put them in prison. Acts 8:2-3 NIV
* * *
     The day that Stephen was martyred, a great persecution broke out against the church at Jerusalem. The young man, Saul, asked for official approval to go to Damascus, and arrest any who belonged to "the Way," whether men or women. (9:2)
     Saul did this believing that he had God's approval as well. Later he would say, "I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers." (Galatians1:14) On his way to Damascus, this fiery zealous young man had a massive change of heart. He met Jesus who said, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" His immediate response was, "Who are you, Lord?" (Acts 9:4–5)
* * *
     Dear Jesus, You are the One who knows men's hearts. Help me to believe that even those who seem to oppose the gospel may have a heart that is searching, and when You speak to them, they will recognize Your voice, because they are Your chosen ones.
* * *
     "God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles… " Galatians 1:15-16a NIV

No comments: