Saturday, February 21, 2009

I WILL NOT FORGET YOU

[98]

PEACE LIKE A RIVER

Read Isaiah 48–49


     "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go." Isaiah 48:17 NIV
* * *
     God, through Isaiah's prophesy of deliverance from Babylon, reminds the captives of His absolute sovereignty in their lives. He would soon raise up Cyrus, king of Persia to overthrow Babylon and help the Israelites return to their land. Of Cyrus He says, “I, even I, have spoken; yes, I have called him. I will bring him, and he will succeed in his mission.” (48:15)

     The Lord reminds them that if they had been obedient, they would not have been carried off to Babylon in the first place. He says, "If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea. (48:18)
* * *
     Most Holy Father, You are the One in control of our lives. Above all, I want my children to know and obey God; for I know that You love them even more than I do. You have promised through Isaiah, “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!” (49:15)
* * *
     "See, I will beckon to the Gentiles, I will lift up my banner to the peoples; they will bring your sons in their arms and carry your daughters on their shoulders. Isaiah 49:22 NIV
     I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth." Isaiah 49:6b NIV

No comments: