Sunday, March 29, 2009

EASTER DEVOTIONS

SCATTERED BUT NOT ALONE

Read John 16:5–33

"It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you." John 16:7 NKJV
* * *
The disciples were still trying to grasp what Jesus was telling them. He was preparing them for the frightening, sorrowful days ahead. He said, "Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you." (16:22)

At one point, the men thought they understood; they said, "See, now You are speaking plainly, and using no figure of speech! Now we are sure that You know all things, and have no need that anyone should question You. By this we believe that You came forth from God." (16:29–30)

Jesus replied, “Do you now believe? Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone…”(16:30-32 NKJV) The disciples would indeed be scattered, but they would be gathered again, empowered by the Holy Spirit and made into the foundation of a church that would turn the world upside down.
* * *
Lord, I see from the lives of these men that I don't have to understand all that You are doing in the world. I just have to trust that You are the Son of God who has taken away my sin, and promised a fruitful, abundant life, by the power of Your Holy Spirit.
* * *
"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I Have overcome the world." John 16:33 NKJV

No comments: