Monday, February 21, 2011

TO LIVE IS CHRIST

[21]
LETTERS TO THE CHURCHES - Philippians

Read Philippians 1

     I always pray with joy… being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.      Philippians 1:4b, 6 NIV
* * *
     Paul begins his letter to the church at Philippi with a word of confidence in their growing maturity. He knows that they will face persecution and struggles from without and within. He warns, “Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then...I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel.”(1:27)

     He tells them that the hardships he has suffered, including his imprisonment, have served to further the spreading of the gospel. Though his very life has been threatened he says, “I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (1:20-21)
* * *
     Lord, You are the One who will accomplish Your purpose in our lives. We are simply vessels in Your hands, being molded for the master’s use. Help me to be confident and willing to place my future in Your hands, not worrying, but trusting in You to use me for Your glory.
* * *
     “And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more, ... that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ-to the glory and praise of God.  Philippians 1:9-11 NIV

No comments: