Monday, January 25, 2010

JANUARY THOUGHTS

     So here we are, approaching the last week of January, 2010. It seems appropriate to stop for a moment to review what I have covered so far and talk about the purpose and goals of this blog.

     My first devotional post on Blogspot.com was February 28, 2008 and it began with Genesis 1:1, “IN THE BEGINNING GOD...” Since then we have moved through the Bible with readings from all of the Old Testament books and now we are in the New Testament Gospels - reading the Life of Christ through the eyes of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

     I have been truly blessed by the opportunity to share from my own devotional reading and to receive responses from so many of my readers, often adding new insights and blessings of your own. God’s Word truly does have all we need for life and godliness in this generation.

     For those of you who are new to my blogs, I would like to explain my purpose for the brief format and how it might be of value to your own devotional reading. Each post gives a reading in bold print. If you look in the right hand column of my blog under “Look up Reference” you will see links to BibleGateway.com and Blue Letter Bible. Someday, if I get quite ambitious, I may link the reading assignments more directly, but for now you will have to look up the reference at the website.

     Because I know that not all readers will take the time to do this, I have included at least two or three direct quotations in the body of the post. This way, you will still get the main thought of the passage. My comments are meant to set the reference in its biblical context and draw attention to the lives of real people who lived in Bible times.

     Each post includes a personal prayer of application for today. You may find that you are prompted to pray a different prayer entirely. What I hope to model is a two way conversation with the Lord as He speaks to us through His Word and we pray about what he lays on our hearts.

     The Bible is a living book and though the truth is unchangeable, our lives do change and God will no doubt have different applications for us at different seasons of life. I have found this way of prayer, coupled with Bible reading, to be far more meaningful and interesting and it gives me confidence to know I am praying in God’s will.

     If the Word says “Be strong in the Lord,” I can pray for strength and believe that it is His will to give it to me. If it says “If any man lacks wisdom, let him ask of God and He will give it to him,” I can confidently ask for wisdom in making a decision.

     Since I first started blogging I have expanded my posts to other networks which reach into different parts of the country and world. I post on Vox.com, Live Journal, Word Press and several others. But Blogspot.com remains my home base to which the others can link. So my goal for 2010 is to continue to write and post and respond to my readers as God allows. Your comments are always welcome.

     It is my prayer that these brief devotional entries that just scratch the surface will inspire my readers to dig deeper into the Word this year, as I continue to be inspired by others who teach and write for the Lord.



HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: