Monday, December 12, 2011

DISCERNMENT

LETTERS TO THE CHURCHES - Thyatira
[60]


Read Revelation 2:18-29

      "I know your works, love, service, faith, and your patience; and as for your works, the last are more than the first. Nevertheless I have a few things against you... Revelation 2:19-20A NKJV
* * *
      The church at Thyatira, much like Pergamum, was influenced by pagan religion and immorality. Like many today, they mixed their Christianity with occult practices. Jesus refers to these practices as the "depths of Satan." (2:24).
      Teachers of this corrupt form of Christianity were followers of demons and will be judged along with Satan in the future. When judgment comes He says, “...all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.” (2:23)
     There was still a remnant of faithful believers at Thyatira and to them He says, "Now to you I say, and to the rest in Thyatira, as many as do not have this doctrine, who have not known the depths of Satan, as they say, I will put on you no other burden. But hold fast what you have till I come” (2:24-25)
* * *
      Lord, these verses remind me how careful we must be about what is taught in our churches. False teaching seems to creep in so easily and true believers need discernment. Keep us in Your Word so that we can recognize counterfeit Christianity by knowing the Truth.
* * *
      "And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ," Philippians 1:9-10 NKJV

No comments: