Tuesday, May 29, 2012

WRESTLING WITH GOD

JACOB'S BLESSING

Read Genesis 31–32


     Then Jacob prayed, "O God …“I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant.” Genesis 32:9a, 10a NIV
* * *
     After years of hardship and deception by Laban, God miraculously increased Jacob’s wealth, and caused Laban to allow him to leave. Then, alone at night, after sending his family on ahead, God once again spoke to Jacob…
     A man approached him and they began to fight. Jacob wrestled all night long–evidently realizing this was a heavenly visitor.  Jacob said to him, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." The man asked him, "What is your name?" "Jacob," he answered. Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."(Genesis 32:26b–30)
     This strange encounter with the Lord left Jacob with an outward limp that would always remind him and his descendants that his blessings came from God.
* * *
     Lord, I can see in this story of Jacob how much You value humility. If we are to be blessed, that blessing will come from You, not from our own struggles. You are Jehovah Jirah, our provider, and like Jacob I will say God has been gracious to me, and I have all I need. (Genesis 33:11)
* * *
     The sun rose above him as he passed Peniel, and he was limping because of his hip. Therefore to this day the Israelites do not eat the tendon attached to the socket of the hip, because the socket of Jacob's hip was touched near the tendon.   Genesis 32:31–32 NIV

No comments: