Tuesday, July 31, 2012

MOSES AND AARON

A COMPASSIONATE HEART
 
Read Exodus 32:1-33:17

     So Moses went back to the LORD and said, "Oh, what a great sin these people have committed! They have made themselves gods of gold. But now, please forgive their sin–but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written." Exodus 32:31-32 NIV
* * *
     During the 40 days that Moses was on Mt Sinai receiving God's commandments, the people talked Aaron into making them a golden calf. Then they said, "These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt." (32:4b)
      The next day the people sacrificed burnt offerings to the idol and began to dance and engage in revelry. The LORD said to Moses, “I have seen these people… Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them.” (32:9-10a)
     Moses pleaded for the people saying that if God would not forgive Israel's sin, Moses was ready to be blotted out with them. Then the LORD relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened. (32:14)
* * *
     Lord, give me a compassionate heart for those who are living disobedient lives. Teach me your ways so that I will know You better, and be an example of obedience to my family and friends. I know that I cannot do this without your daily presence in my life.
* * *
     "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us?"   (Exodus 33:15 16)

No comments: