Sunday, November 11, 2012

FOR THIS CHILD I PRAYED

HANNAH AND SAMUEL


Read I Samuel 1:1–28

      "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD." … The LORD was with Samuel as he grew up. 1 Samuel 1:27–28; 1 Samuel 3:19a NIV

* * *
      Samuel’s birth was an answer to Hannah’s fervent prayer. She had pleaded with the Lord, “If you will only look upon your servant's misery–and give her a son, then I will give him to the LORD all the days of his life.” When she brought him to Eli the priest, she said, “I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD."(1:11, 27–28)
      Each year his mother made him a little robe and took it to him when she went up with her husband to offer the annual sacrifice. Hannah surely prayed for Samuel all the days of her life and God blessed her with more children.
      Even though Samuel grew up among Eli’s wicked sons, he became a faithful judge and prophet of God. Samuel would go on to lead Israel through the transition from judges to kings, and become King Saul’s spiritual advisor – all this in response to God’s plan and a mother’s prayers.
* * *
      Lord, help us to be faithful to pray daily for our children and grandchildren. Use them for your glory and purpose on this earth, and give us the wisdom we need to train them to follow You–even in a wicked culture.
* * *
      The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" Then Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening." 1 Samuel 3:10 NIV

No comments: