Thursday, December 13, 2012

DAVID AND GOLIATH

Eliab and David

Read 1 Samuel 17

      When Eliab, David's oldest brother, heard him speaking with the men, he asked, "Why have you come down here? And with whom did you leave those few sheep in the desert? I know how conceited you are … you came down only to watch the battle." "Now what have I done?" said David. "Can't I even speak?" He then turned away to someone else and brought up the same matter… 1 Samuel 17:28‑30
* * *
      One cannot help but smile in reading this interaction between the oldest and youngest of Jesse’s sons. God had already put it into David’s heart to lead Israel, though neither David nor his brother knew it yet. David would have to go through many trials before God gave him the throne as king, but he was anointed by Samuel while he was still a boy. Now, as he faces Goliath, it becomes obvious why God chose him. But God also had plans for David’s brother Eliab, just as he does for all of His people.
* * *
      Lord, I have no idea what you have planned in the future for my children and grandchildren. But my deepest desire is that they will follow You and love You with all of their hearts. As we faithfully ask You for wisdom to teach them; speak to their hearts and lead them to walk in Your perfect will.
* * *
      Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand …” 1 Samuel 17:45-46a NKJV

No comments: