Wednesday, October 21, 2009

WHO ARE YOU?

[23]

BEFORE ABRAHAM WAS, I AM

Read John 8:18–58

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31–32 NKJV
* * *
Jesus was speaking in the temple to two different groups of people – those who believed and those who didn't. To those who would seize Him and kill Him if they could, He said, "You are from beneath; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I Am…, you will die in your sins." (8:23b-24)

Then Jesus said, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He”…As He spoke these words, many believed in Him. (8:28a, 30) To those who believed He said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death." (8:51)
* * *
Lord, your Son Jesus was Messiah, the One that Abraham looked forward to – who would come from his descendants. By faith, Abraham trusted in You – By faith, we look back to the cross and believe in Jesus Christ – who was and is the great "I AM."
* * *
"You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!" "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I AM!" John 8:57–58 NIV

No comments: