Monday, January 7, 2013

DAVID AND BATHSHEBA

Read 2 Samuel 11:1–12:25

 
. . . then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD." 2 Samuel 12:13 NIV
* * *
      David, though a man after God’s own heart, was far from perfect. He was involved in an adulterous affair with Bathsheba and sent her husband into the heat of battle to cover his sin. But God does not allow sin to be hidden forever. He sent the prophet Nathan to confront David saying, “Why did you despise the word of the LORD by doing what is evil in his eyes?” (12:9a)
* * *
      There would be serious consequences for David’s sin. His own son Absalom would turn against him and be killed in battle as a result. The child born to Bathsheba would also die. But even as these consequences played out, we see that God did not give up on David. David’s faith brought him back to fellowship with the Lord, and God’s plan moved forward. David and Bathsheba had another son, Solomon, who is an ancestor of our Lord Jesus Christ.
* * *
      Lord, thank You that Your faithfulness does not depend on our perfection. I will never be the perfect wife or mother or friend. But when I fail, I know that I can come to you for forgiveness and restoration.
* * *
      "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD." Psalm 40:2‑3 NIV

No comments: