Sunday, January 8, 2012

AN OPEN DOOR

LETTERS TO THE CHURCHES - Philadelphia

[62]

Read Revelation 3:7-13
      "I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name.” Revelation 3:8 NKJV
* * *
      These letters to the seven churches describe the actual events at the time of this writing but because of their placement in a prophetic vision, some have viewed them as typical of the church in various stages of history. 
     If this is a valid secondary interpretation, then the Philadelphia church most likely represents the churches of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries of missionary outreach. God truly has given and still gives an open door for missionary endeavor. How long this will be, we do not know, but the opportunity is there today.
      Others also see a composite picture of the church at any time in history. In this view the promise of deliverance is comforting: “Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. Behold, I am coming quickly!” (3:10-11a)
* * *
      Lord, I look forward to Your coming, perhaps in our lifetime. Help us to take advantage of the open door we have today for spreading the good news of salvation. Give me the opportunity to share my faith in You.
* * *
      These things says He who is holy, He who is true, "He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens" Revelation 3:7b NKJV

No comments: