Monday, March 12, 2012

ABRAHAM AND SARAH


IS ANYTHING TOO HARD FOR THE LORD?

Read Genesis 17:1–18:15
      Then the LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' Is anything too hard for the LORD?"   Genesis 18:13–14a NIV
* * *
      At the age of ninety nine, God once again appeared to Abraham to confirm His covenant promise. He said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife … I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her." (Genesis 17:15a–16) By this, Abraham knew that the promise was not for Hagar’s son, Ishmael, but for a son that God would give him through Sarah.
* * *
      We are not told the reason why God waited so long to fulfill His promise to Abraham. It may be that He and Sarah had to come to the end of themselves and their own efforts. Unfortunately, their impatience caused great heartache for them and the generations that followed.
* * *
      Lord, help me to be patient when Your answers are long in coming. I know that nothing is too hard for You, but sometimes my thoughts and actions don’t reflect that belief. Give me discernment to know when I should move ahead and act, and when I should just wait on You. Take away the anxiety I experience when things seem out of control and grant me the peace that comes only from You.
* * *
      "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus".     Philippians 4:6–7 NIV

No comments: