Sunday, April 8, 2012

HE IS RISEN! HE IS RISEN INDEED!

THOMAS BELIEVES
Read: Luke 24:36-43; John 20:24-31
     Thomas said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."    John 20:25 NIV

     Eight days before this, the disciples, except for Thomas, stood in amazed unbelief.  Jesus suddenly appeared, and they thought they were seeing a ghost. Then He asked for something to eat and said, "Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." (Luke 24:39)
     Now Thomas is still  unconvinced, since he has not yet seen the Lord. When Jesus appeared again, and showed him his hands and side, Thomas exclaimed, "My Lord and my God!" (John 20:28)
* * *
     Jesus had been telling His disciples all along that he would arise from the dead, but this was something they couldn't comprehend. We have the advantage today of the complete Scriptures, explaining how all these things fit together with Old Testament prophesy; yet Lord, there are times I struggle to understand Your plan for us. Perhaps it is just enough to say, "My Lord and my God!"
* * *
     Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."  John 20:29 NKJV

No comments: