Saturday, November 22, 2008

INFLUENCE OF A PARENT

GUIDANCE

Read Proverbs 3–4

      Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5–6 NKJV
* * *
      The wisest thing that Solomon ever did was to acknowledge his own limitations and ask God for wisdom. There is a reason why Solomon knew he needed to do this: He says, When I was a boy in my father's house, still tender, and an only child of my mother, he taught me and said "Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.” (Proverbs 4:3–4a, 7 NIV) Solomon heeded his father David's sound advice, and asked God for a wise and discerning heart, which God was more than happy to give.
* * *
      We cannot overestimate the importance of our influence on our children. Both good and bad kings in the Bible were influenced by their parents. David started teaching a very young Solomon that the beginning of wisdom is the fear of God, and as a result, Solomon started out in the right direction.
* * *
      Lord, I pray for the salvation of each one of our children and grandchildren. Help us to be faithful in teaching them to seek after You, asking for Your guidance in both small and large decisions.
* * *
      Listen, my son, accept what I say, and the years of your life will be many. I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths.  Proverbs 4:10–11 NIV

No comments: