Friday, November 14, 2008

THE SEARCH FOR WISDOM

[82]

HIDDEN TREASURE

Read Proverbs 2; James 1

     –and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure– then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. Proverbs 2:4–6 NIV
* * *
     Throughout the book of Proverbs, Solomon presents a very important principle echoed in the New Testament: We must seek and ask for wisdom from God, and when He gives it, we must act upon it. James said,
     "Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like." (James 1:23–24)
     The beginning of wisdom is belief that God’s Word is true–but believing is not enough if we don’t carry through and apply it to our lives.
* * *
     Lord, as I open my Bible this morning, I am seeking for hidden treasure. Show me what I need to learn and then empower me to make any changes You require. I lift up my family, my husband and my children. Give me the ability to understand their needs and be ready with a wise and discerning answer. May my thoughts and actions reflect the wisdom mirrored in Your precious Word.
* * *
      If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.    James 1:5 NIV

No comments: