Saturday, November 29, 2008

TREASURE OF THE HEART

[85]

RECKLESS WORDS

Read Proverbs Chapters 12–13

      From the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things as surely as the work of his hands rewards him.     Proverbs 12:14 NIV
* * *
      Whether they are uplifting or demeaning, words affect the quality of our lives. Solomon wrote, "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." (12:16) An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up. (12:25)
     Words matter because they reflect the condition of our hearts– Jesus said, “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.”
(
Matthew 12:34b-35 NKJV)
* * *
      Lord, I pray that You will help me to guard my lips for You have said, "He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin." (Proverbs 13:3) I know that the example I set before my children will profoundly affect their attitudes. Help me to be diligent in teaching them that words matter, and that there is great satisfaction in being a kind, encouraging person.
* * *
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Proverbs 12:18 NIV

No comments: